Grilled Cabbage Wraps by woon.heng 💚 Stuffed with glutinous rice & kale stems! Get the recipe:
– 3 cups cooked rice (used glutinous rice or sub with other rice)
– about 15-20 cabbage leaves
– 3/4 cup kale stems, finely chopped (or use broccoli stem)
– 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
– 1 small carrot, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
– oil for cooking, salt to taste
– Seasoning (see step): 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari, pepper, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste
🌱Sauce (optional, cabbage wraps can be served as is): Whisk together 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari,1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tablespoon mirin, 1 chopped Thai chilis (optional) salt & pepper in 1/2 cup water until well combined.
✅To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, sauté ginger until fragrant, add mushrooms, cook for 1-2mins. Add kale stems & continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
✅Transfer mixture to a bowl, then add carrots, cooked rice & mix well with seasoning ingredients. Taste test👌🏻
✅Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking. (If you have a small cabbage, 👀my stories on how I cook mine.)
✅Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface. Add a heaping spoon of filling in the middle, fold in the sides & wrap to seal. (Note: more filling for a larger leaf). Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
✅In a heated non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, place as many cabbage wraps as will fit in one layer in the pan. Cook until both sides are nicely browned, flipping in halfway.
✅Sauce: Add the sauce ingredients in a pan, then bring it to simmer & cook until slightly thickened.
✅Drizzle sauce on the cabbage wraps & garnish with sesame seeds & chopped cilantro.