Pad Thai by woon.heng 😋 Tangy, sweet, salty; all in one dish with a perfect crunch from fresh mung bean sprouts & toasted peanuts! 🌱 get the recipe below!
– 4 servings Pad Thai rice stick (used around 250g [8oz] and size ‘L’)
– 7oz [200g] firm tofu, pressed, cut into cubes & pan-fried
– 8 oz [236g] mung bean sprouts (save some for side)
– 3 shallots & 3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons preserved dried radish (optional)
– a pinch of chili flakes (optional)
– a handful of green onions/scallions – cut into 3″ length
– a handful of crushed roasted peanuts
– oil for cooking
🌱*Pad Thai Sauce (adjust for lesser servings): 3 tablespoons tamarind juice (from 1 ping pong ball size tamarind pulp + 1/4 cup [60g] water), 3 tablespoons vegan ‘fish’ sauce (nước mắm chay – recipe in highlights), 1 – 2 tablespoons coconut/palm sugar, 1 tablespoon tamari/soy sauce (omit if using store-bought vegan fish sauce), 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar & 1/4 cup [60g] vegetable broth
1. Soak rice stick in room temperature water until soft. Drain & set aside until ready to use.
2. Mix Pad Thai sauce ingredients until well combined and store in a jar until ready to use. You may warm up the broth to melt the sugar.
3. In a heated non-stick pan with 1 tablespoon oil, sauté shallots until translucent. Add preserved radish & continue to cook for another 1-2 mins over medium heat. Then, add garlic & sauté until fragrant.
4. Add tofu, noodles & use a pair of tongs to spread out the noodles, cook for about a min. Add Pad Thai sauce while stirring & tossing continuously (add sauce slowly & taste test as you go). Noodles will start to soften.
5. Add mung bean sprouts, peanuts, chili flakes & green onions. Toss noodles with the mixture until well combined.
6. Serve warm with lime juice, more peanuts, fresh mung bean sprouts & chili flakes.
Tag a friend in the comments who’d totally love this recipe! 💚
Follow vegadishes for more vegan recipes