Salt & Vinegar Roast Hasselback Potatoes! 🥔 Crispy crunchy ridges and fluffy interior with vinegar notes – these are to die for. By laurafordnutrition
Follow us vegadishes for daily vegan recipes
1.5 kg (~3 lbs) potatoes, peeled
2 cups white vinegar / any vinegar you like
2 cups water
olive oil or 50g vegan butter
1/4 cup roasted onion flavored olive oil*
5 sprigs thyme
1/4 tsp salt & pepper *you can make your own onion infused evoo or improvise with plain olive oil + onion powder
1. Slice the potatoes into even sized rounds about 1-2cm thick. Try to keep the width similar to prevent any burning whilst they are baking.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot and add the ¼ tsp salt, vinegar and water. Let the potatoes sit in the vinegared water for 1 hour. After an hour, place the pot on the stove and cook the potatoes in the vinegared water for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes have just started to soften and are cooked.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and allow the potatoes to cool slightly until they’re able to be handled and hasselbacked.
4. Preheat the oven to 200◦C (400◦F) while you prepare the potatoes.
5. To hasselback the potatoes, place the potato with the flat side down on a board and make even cuts along the potato. I like to make about 10-15 cuts per potato. Ensure each cut goes at least halfway through the potato so you get lots of crispy edged exposure. However, don’t cut all the way through as you want the slices to all stay together on the potato.
6. Place the vegan butter or olive oil and roasted onion olive oil on a large baking tray and place in the oven until the butter has melted. Rub the hasselbacked side of the potato into the oil so the oil gets into all the cuts. Flip over so that cuts are facing up and each potato is touching the tray but with enough space in between so they are not sitting on top of each other.
7. Cook for 25-30 minutes. After this time, the bottoms should be golden, if not cook further until golden brown. Flip and cook for a further 10-55 minutes so that all sides are golden brown.