Teriyaki Katsu Rice Bowls by thefoodietakesflight 🍚 Served over steamed rice for a super satisfying meal! Get the kastu recipe below:
(Makes 4 katsu)
2 240g blocks fresh extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste*
Canola oil, for frying
Teriyaki sauce (recipe on my blog)
½ cup flour
1 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sweet paprika powder, optional
½ cup water
1 cup japanese breadcrumbs, or more as needed
1. Drain water from the tofu by wrapping them in paper towels and then placing a heavy flat surface (a board or plate) on top of each. Leave for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed by the towels.
2. Slice each tofu into 1/2 inch thick square slabs. You may be able to slice one tofu into 3 slabs, depending on the thickness of your tofu. Season with salt.
3. Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients until smooth. In another plate or tray, add the breadcrumbs.
4. Place each tofu in the batter then coat into the breadcrumbs. Repeat this step for the rest.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot (you can test this by putting a little bread crumbs), add in the tofu. Fry for around 6-8 minutes over medium heat until golden brown. Take out of the oil then turn off the heat.
6. Let cool for 10-15 minutes then slice diagonally into 3/4-inch thick strips. Drizzle with some teriyaki sauce and enjoy with rice.
Tag a friend in the comments who’d totally love this recipe! 💚
Follow vegadishes for more vegan recipes